We’re all thinking it; how is it September already? Isn’t it just the start of the Summer Holidays? No, it’s September and we’re back to school (or maybe even starting school for some little ones).
We know how difficult it can be getting back into the swing of things after a long summer, so here at Communicate, we have put together the “5 C’s” for supporting your child with the return to school;
- Compose: It’s a great time to help prepare children for what to expect in school. Talk to them about school routines. Perhaps get creative and compose a ‘Social Story’ about their new school timetable. If you’re not so ‘hands on’ creative, download the ‘Social Stories Creator and Library’ app where you can create your own stories with your child.
- Communicate: Talk to your child’s teacher about any concerns you have with their speech and language. Find out who the school SLT is and arrange a time to talk to them. Regular contact with your SLT is helpful and can be done via a home/school diary, emailing, making phone calls or attending meetings.
- Confirm: If your child had targets last year, check them to see how they are getting on. With lots of fun and social opportunities over the summer, children can make lots of progress. If you feel they are ready to move on, let your SLT know and request updated targets.
- Consolidate: Following on from above, make sure you are aware of what targets are being set in school, so that you can also help them at home. Research has proven that parental involvement with SLT has huge benefits, so please get involved and ask for activities and ways to help at home!
- Collaborate: Talk to your child’s teacher and SLT to find out what phonics programmes or literacy interventions are being used in your child’s school. You can then practice the sounds and silly actions with your child at home to help their speech and literacy skills.
Hopefully, these tips will help you get off to a great start to the year! We would love to hear from you with any other top tips for going back to school, so please feel free to leave a comment!
We would like to wish you all a great school year!
The Team @ Communicate 🙂